Don’t Limit Your Options
I was once told: Don’t turn down a job you haven’t been offered. The idea is you can limit your own options too much, not applying for or considering jobs that you may actually be interested in if they extended you an offer and you knew more about it. On the other hand, if you rule out too many potential jobs without trying, you could cut out your future dream job and not even realize it.
So when job hunting, it’s essential to keep an open mind about the type of positions that are available. One option that’s gaining popularity is temp-to-hire positions. These positions provide temporary employment with the possibility ( and incentive) of becoming a full-time employee. There are quite a few benefits of temp-to-hire positions so let’s look at why they can be excellent opportunities for people looking for a new job – or even a new career.
Flexibility for Employers
One of the main benefits of temp-to-hire positions for employers is the flexibility they provide. These positions allow companies to experiment with new roles and candidates to determine whether it’s a good long-term fit with the company. It is an excellent opportunity for companies to reduce risks and save money. Rather than spending time and resources recruiting candidates that may not work out, employers can use a staffing agency to put them in contact with temp-to-hire candidates that will be a good fit for the company and position.
Time for Employees & Employers to Test How the Job Fits
By utilizing a temp-to-hire arrangement instead of a direct hire, temporary positions give both employers and employees a clearer picture of how they fit in at a company before making a permanent move. This arrangement also benefits the temp-to-hire employee by allowing them more time to impress their managers by demonstrating their skills and work performance – it’s much easier to compete and demonstrate your skills for a position in person than by just depending on a resume. That makes it an opportunity for both parties to evaluate each other before committing to a permanent position.
Potential for Full-Time Employment
Temp-to-hire positions provide the most obvious benefit: an opportunity for temporary workers to become full-time employees. After the period of temporary employment ends, the temp-to-hire employee is eligible to be employed by the company full-time, provided they’ve met the requirements and expectations of their prospective employer. The transition of the person’s current role from temporary hire to a full-fledged employee requires the paperwork and onboarding associated with bringing on a full-time hire. But the transition also comes with a more reliable job, often better pay, and possibly benefits as well. Getting a temp job is an excellent opportunity to get a foot in the door and prove your worth for job seekers who are looking for a long-term position.
Benefits for Employees
We have many positions available right now that offer benefits for temp employees as well! Including temp jobs in your job search opens up your possible job horizons, as well as provides an opportunity to learn new skills and boost your resume with relevant work experience. Temp-to-hire work experience can be invaluable, especially when it’s in an industry you don’t have experience in yet but are trying to break into. It provides a chance to meet new colleagues and expand their professional network.
Expanding Your Network
Working in a temp-to-hire position is a solid, hands-on way for job seekers to expand their network of professional contacts. By working with different companies, employees have opportunities to meet new people in industries they may never have any contacts in before, and who have diverse skill sets. It’s an opportunity to collaborate with other professionals, learn from their experiences, and expand your knowledge base.
Best Practices for Employers
To make the most out of a temp-to-hire arrangement, here are some best practices for employers:
- Be clear about expectations: Employers should clearly communicate the expectations and goals for the position to the temp-to-hire employee. This ensures that everyone is on the same page and that the employee knows what expectations are and how to exceed them.
- Offer consistent feedback: Regular feedback is critical for the success of a temp-to-hire arrangement. Employers should provide regular feedback to the employee to help them understand what they are doing well and where they have opportunities for improvement.
- Plan for the transition: Before hiring any temporary workers, have a plan in place for the transition of successful temp employees to permanent positions. Part of that would be identifying the paperwork and onboarding process and ensuring that the employee has access to any necessary benefits.
- Use an experienced and competent staffing agency: Employers should use a reputable staffing agency that has a pool of qualified and experienced workers specific to their hiring needs.
Need help hiring? At Express Employment Professionals, we match the right people to the right jobs.
- Be open to changing the employee’s role: If there isn’t a full-time position available, employers should consider offering a hybrid role or exploring other parts of the business where the temp-to-hire employee can be utilized better. Getting to know the employee and their skillset might mean you see they would be a much stronger addition to a different team than you initially hired them for.
Best Practices for Employees
To increase the chances of being offered a full-time position after the temporary assignment, here are some best practices for temp-to-hire employees:
- Exceed expectations: Temp-to-hire employees should demonstrate their value by looking for ways to continually contribute to the goals of their team and exceed their employer’s expectations.
- Use it as a networking opportunity: Building relationships with managers and coworkers can increase the chances of being recommended as a permanent employee.
- Show a desire to grow: Showing enthusiasm for learning about the company and the position demonstrates that you are self-motivated and eager to expand your skill sets.
- Act as if you’ve been hired directly: Temp-to-hire employees should assimilate as an employee of the company and show respect for the company’s rules and expectations.
- Maintain a positive attitude: A friendly and positive attitude is an asset to any organization, and it can help temp-to-hire employees stand out as valuable team members.
Temp-to-hire positions offer numerous benefits for both employers and employees. They provide flexibility, time for assessment, and the potential for full-time employment.
To make the most of a temp-to-hire arrangement, employers should:
- be clear about expectations
- provide consistent feedback and observe the employee’s responsiveness to it
- plan for the transition of successful temps to direct-hire positions
- use a reputable staffing agency
Temp-to-hire employees should:
- take the initiative, build relationships
- show a desire to learn
- treat it like a permanent role
- and maintain a positive attitude
With the right approach and the right people, temp-to-hire positions can be an excellent opportunity for job seekers to find a fulfilling long-term position or career.
Work with Express Employment Professionals for your hiring needs today!
We have the experience, the knowledge, and the drive to match the right people to the right jobs! Contact our team of eager-to-help professionals today!